Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pumpkin Patch

Today we went to the pumpkin patch. The rules said that the kids had to be in long pants and closed toes shoes, so I put Matthew in his pajamas and too-big-for-him Crocs and headed out. Once we got there, Matthew was very serious about pumpkin picking. I don't know if it was the red dust in the air or the oppressively muggy heat, but he never really lightened up. During the hayride, he kicked one shoe overboard into a huge pumpkin field. Of course, I didn't know that and couldn't go back, so the outing was pretty much over at that point - except for the part that had me lugging a 30 pound sack of baby with only one shoe, my overstuffed purse and snack bag, and the largest pumpkin I could lean over and pick up without tipping over.
Later on, I made corn chowder from the yummy corn I also picked up at the farm. At least, I thought the chowder was going to be yummy, but I should have known that it wasn't my day when I encountered the "very hungry caterpillar" in my very own kitchen. Six such caterpillars, to be exact. There was one in each ear of corn, but they only ate a little off the top, so I wasn't bothered. They were such cool colors that I saved them all in a little jar for Matthew to check out, but they don't move fast enough to hold his attention.

Anyway, back to the chowder. Since Matthew woke up early from his nap and insists on standing on his stool next to me while I'm working in the kitchen, we were both involved in making the chowder. I cut the corn off the cob and pushed the corn into a pile. Matthew's job was to cram as many kernels of sweet corn into his mouth as possible using both hands. Unfortunately, Matthew fell off the stool and while I was tending to him the chowder burned a bit. I was able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, but the chowder never recovered. Still, we ate happily tonight and I'm looking forward to carving that big pumpkin tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your trip to the pumpkin patch seems like a sort of training for another baby. Mothers should grow another set of arms during pregnancy, don't you think?

I read your critique of Bird by Bird, and I agree with your friend that you have some great books in you. In addition to great literature for adults, you could write a series of books for children on the creepy crawlies who have at various times taken up residence with you in Hawai'i--worms, Larry the Gecko, now caterpillars. Just an idea...

Keep up the good work, Mom!

Love,
Your cousin Emily