On Friday, Matthew also learned how to use a fork, which caught me totally off-guard. I was so intent on him using a spoon - the easier of the two implements, it seemed to me - that I forgot to even offer him a fork. He still can't scoop very well with either of them, but he can darn sure get the food to his mouth. And that's what counts.
Last night, Jeff and I went out and left Matthew with Miss Mel, the babysitter. When we returned, she said that he had had trouble with his corn on the cob, so she had cut some off for him to eat as individual kernels. Never one to accept defeat, Matthew proceeded to pick up the kernels, place them on the now-empty cob, and bend down to eat them. I wish I had been there to see it.
So, we're doing well at fourteen months, I think. Naps are easy, mealtimes are predictably messy, and we all usually sleep through the night. These days, I'm Matthew's favorite person, which means I get lots of hugs and attention. I know this time won't last forever, so I'm trying to enjoy it to the fullest. But I know that I'll miss it deeply once it's over.

No comments:
Post a Comment