Sunday, October 5, 2008

Celebrity Baby

Lately, I haven't really felt like taking pictures or blogging. I've been super busy, but somehow I haven't felt the urge to record it. There's something about living in the moment - and trying to keep up with a toddler and a house - that makes it nicer just to enjoy. There are many moments that I wish I had captured, but the capturing always changes things, so maybe they were more fun because there wasn't a camera in sight.
Speaking of cameras, one moment I desperately wish I had recorded occurred on a recent trip up to the lookout near our house. The windy little spot is always crowded with tourists, many from Japan, who come to see the fantastic view. As Matthew was walking up the pathway, doing his thing, one of the Japanese tourists stopped to take his picture. Soon there were more people stopping to take his picture as he coyly played with a sign post and looked at them with his cute boy face just enough to keep them wanting more. In a matter of seconds, we could not believe the number of cameras being thrust in his face, all with accompanying Japanese phrases aimed at making Matthew smile again. It was nuts. I know that people respond positively to Matthew - ladies stopping on the street to comment on how cute he is, neighborhood kids calling his name from across the park - but I had no idea that we could be turning all of this into Japanese baby celebrity. With economic times being what they are, it's good to know that we have something to fall back on.

No comments: