Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chore Day

Today is chore day. I had to institute chore day after spending months driving myself crazy each week trying to get all of the weekly tasks, a couple of monthly tasks, and maybe a quarterly task accomplished. (I'm both embarrassed and proud to admit that I have a chore chart which I used to keep track of all the chores that need to be done.)

Now, I've changed my tactics and have decided that there only needs to be daily, weekly, and "as needed" chore charts. Each day, I consider myself successful if I do all of the daily chores - washing diapers, washing dishes, cleaning up spit-up off of the floor, making dinner. And one day a week, when Jeff is home, he and I have "chore day" and get all of the weekly chores done - laundry, sweeping, grocery shopping. Then, on his other day off, we will both take a day off from work. We'll eat frozen pizza and watch movies. We'll go to the beach. We will REST.

With the jackhammer still hammering away and making things feel a bit chaotic even when they aren't, we managed to get everything done before noon, except grocery shopping.

We made the bed.

We washed the diapers.

Now Matthew is sleeping - even with the jack hammer - because he's exhausted from all the work. I'd be sleeping, too, but, well, there's a jack hammer in the back yard. I feel better about the crazy day I had yesterday because, after about 10 minutes of hammering, Jeff said, "I've got to get out of here. This jack hammering is making me crazy!" He was sort of kidding, but he was at least admitting that he finally understand why I was so frazzled yesterday. At one point, I called him to say, "Why can't these people show some courtesy and give us some notice!" When he replied, "People aren't courteous, babe" he didn't understand why that wasn't the answer I was looking for.

Now, we're in this together and think we're getting out of it together, too, by making the grocery shopping a family outing. I tell you, I can think of nothing more exciting to do on Sunday than head to the grocery store with my husband and 8 month old. Good times.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Okay...food storage. Around 1936, during the Great Depression, our church instituted a welfare program to basically get people food but they would need to work for it. After the country returned to a somewhat "normal" state, food storage was introduced. It is still in effect today and is a pretty good idea in my opinion. The idea is to store enough food for your family for a year. Not just store, but use and rotate it as you use it so nothing goes bad. I know of several people who have made it through very hard financial times by living (food wise) on their food storage. I can send you more information if you'd like. If so, send me an email at faes_mom@yahoo.com and I'll send some articles about it and what kinds of things to store, how much, etc.