Last night, Jeff was rearranging Matthew's room and Matthew was throwing things into the air and screaming because his father was distracted. Then, Matthew grabbed his toy microphone, stood up straight, and said the Pledge of Allegiance. And not just, "I pledge allegiance to the flag, dabba dabba do" as you might expect from a two year old. He actually said the whole thing, including "indivisible" which he tripped over but did eventually get out in its entirety.
He must have learned it at school, but I didn't think they made two year olds pledge allegiance to the flag. Jeff thought I taught it to him, but come on, do I really have time to do that? I teach him things like, "Goodness gracious, you've made a mess" and "I'm sick of your whining". You know, everyday conversation with an almost-two-and-a-half year old. Matthew amazes me with his speaking ability and memory. (Like when he says, "Watch me do this trick reeeeally fast, okay?") But I praise him most for trying again when he fails because persistence will get you a lot further in life than a smart mouth. (I know this for a fact.)
Baby William blossomed in the last two weeks. He now sits up like a real boy, pivots all over the place on his big belly, and grabs (or tries to) everything he sees. He's especially good at getting his hands on the cell phone, big boy toys that Matthew has left on the floor, and the spoon heading for his mouth. Oh, and did I mention that he's enormous? He's over 20 pounds of baby now at just under 6 months. We'll get the complete stats at our 6 month appointment, but my back can attest to his size. Anyone who might have been holding out hope that we might have another baby can put all those fears (I mean, dreams) to rest. I'm not strong enough to have another one.
I'll try to post some pictures from Christmas and the past few weeks, but let's not hold our breath. Happy New Year!
Friday, January 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The ENTIRE Pledge of Allegiance? That is one smart boy, for sure. Even I am impressed, and I had a smart girl!
Andrew reported to me tonight that Grandma Susie taught Matthew the Pledge.
Post a Comment