It's been over six months now since William was born. He weighs over 22 pounds and is, oh, many inches tall. I'm supposed to remember those things, but his appointment was last Friday morning and since then a lot has happened. Jeff's been on duty a lot lately with the Haiti relief effort, Matthew has developed pink-eye and some awful sinus infection that makes him look like he has slugs crawling out of his nose and the most inoppurntune moments (think grocery store dairy section), and we took our first family vacation. It wasn't much, but it was nice for us: an evening drive over the Skyway Bridge down to Bradenton to dine at the Crab Trap. We didn't really know where we were headed, but we were just so excited about the thought of being able to put the kids in the car and drive (Matthew would NEVER have allowed us to do this without regrets).
Just a few notes about dining at the Crab Trap: the think it's a fancy restaurant, so don't plan on getting seated if you have toddlers and/or infants in tow. And if you order the spinach salad, make sure you ask for the dressing on the side because the warm bacon goop that they call dressing can quickly undo any positive effects the spinach might be having on your arteries. And order applesause for dessert - the four snowbirds sitting next to us did and they raved about it. We were not encouraged to stay for dessert and left quickly, thanking the god of children that ours were well-behaved. Matthew did especially well, given the circumstances, and we're just so pleased every day that he's our boy to raise. What good fortune!
And let's not forget about Little William, who is the unsung hero of the whole family. It is his ready smile and easy demeanor that make everything we're doing these days possible. Jeff and I spend a lot of our time whipping this house into shape, but we wouldn't be doing anything but surviving if William was the infant Matthew was. We're different parents, too, I suppose, and Matthew has grown into a fantastic little boy, so I'm certainly not complaining about how things were. But I'm just so grateful that William is the baby he is. He's learning to crawl now, so I'll be eating these "easy baby" words soon, I'm sure. Whereas Matthew was an observant, critical baby, I think William will be more inquisitive and busy. He grabs everything he can, and reaches for anything he can't. He pulls my hair, and Big Brother's, and is convinced that one of these days he will catch Matthew on the back-swing at the park.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment