TEN THINGS ABOUT YOUR MOTHER
1. I love wee things. Anything smaller than it's original size facinates me. It's too bad I never got into doll houses, because I think I would have dug them. As it is, our linen closet is usually overflowing with travel size toiletries from drugstores and hotels throughout the world.2. I work like an ox. I once moved boulders from underneath our house to terrace the backyard. I get it from my mother, who is one of a long line of strong, hardworking women.
3. I married your father because he makes me laugh all the time. He does things just to make me laugh, like the time he put my black leather boots on you and walked you into the room singing the old song, "These Boots are made for Walking" Sometimes he makes me laugh even when he's not trying, like the time he kept trying to cross both eyes but could only do one. I laughed to hard I nearly threw up. I'm still laughing about it.
4. I read a lot of books, mostly historical fiction. A compelling story appropriately set in history can tell you more about what was going on during that time than most texts. I especially like to read lots of books about the same time and place to get a better feel for the complexities of that moment in time.
5. I also love things that hold things. I am most pleased when something has a space or holder that fits it perfectly, like a lipstick case or tool crib. But I also like purses and cubbies and baskets...
6. I can be quick to anger, especially when it comes to sexism. If I bring a jar that I can't open to your father and ask him to help me, he just looks at me and says flatly, "Of course you need a man to help you, Sarah. You couldn't possibly open that jar by yourself." Even though I know he's lying, I get just angry enough to open the jar. I think the anger is left over from some not-so-nice things that a couple of men did to me when I was a younger woman. It goes to show you that the things you do - good and bad - to other people stay with them a long time. So do good when you can.
7. I can juggle.
8. I am a Democrat. I would like to say that I am a liberal and I'll vote for whoever best encompasses my political beliefs, but the reality of our time is that there are really only two political parties and I'm for the one on the left. I believe in the fair wages for all workers, keeping religious teachings out of schools, and in protecting our environment. I learned almost everything I know about politics from my father, who dedicated his life to the cause of working people around the world.
9. I rearrange things all the time. Your father says my super-hero name would be The Rearranger. Every now and then I'll hear him exclaim, "The Rearranger has struck again!" before asking me where something is. I do it in the name of efficiency, but it costs everyone else in the house a lot more time.
10. The transition to motherhood wasn't an easy one for me, and I still struggle sometimes with the tough questions that parents face. But there has never been a job I loved more, or a little boy who made his mother happier.

2 comments:
This is waaaaay too sweet not to cry.
oh, Sarah. You are such a wonderful mother. I don't think anyone's transition to motherhood is easy. I still struggle with it...like any "job," it's a lifelong learning process. Jose and I still laugh about the fact that we both had to take extensive exams for our careers, but after I gave birth to both of our boys, they just sent us out with them with little to no instructions. No license required!
Post a Comment