We miss Papa a lot, but life can be simpler when it's just me and the baby. Of course, simple isn't really what life's about. My life was simpler before Matthew came along, too, but I wouldn't trade this life for that one in a million years. I'm just pleased that I can manage to take care of the baby by myself for a few days without having an anxiety attack beforehand or passing out on the floor while I'm supposed to be the one in charge. I did sprain my ankle a couple of days ago, which quickly reminded me of how unacceptable it is for me to be sick or hurt. I put an bandage on it and limped on to the park.
I can tell that Matthew misses his daddy, too, because he points to his picture a lot. I'll say, "Matthew where's Papa?" and he'll point to his papa. Then I'll say, "Matthew where's Nana?" and he'll point to his papa. Then I'll say, "Matthew, where's Mama?" and he'll point to his papa, at which point I have to make it VERY CLEAR that I am the mama. I am the one who carried his ever-heavier baby body around for 9 months. I am the one who endured the pain of his childbirth. And I am the one who nursed him until I had nothing left to give. Usually when I'm through saying all of this, Matthew looks at me blankly and then points to his papa. Oh well.
The fact is that Matthew and I are so lucky to have a man in our lives like Jeff. He's the best man I've ever met: patient and caring with his wife, sweet and playful with his baby, loyal and generous with his friends. I love the picture below of him and Matthew hanging out at the beach. I know that Matthew will be happy to have him home because a lot has happened this week that I probably shouldn't admit. Suffice it to say that Matthew's fire ant bites are healing nicely. Wish him luck for this next week with only his mama!

No comments:
Post a Comment