Saturday, March 26, 2011

Minneapolis Winter

A few weeks back, we left the burgeoning spring of Florida to spend a few days in the still heavy winter of Minneapolis. I hadn't been there since I was 16 - which I realized as I was reminiscing on the plane was 16 years ago. So I took the boys to see their Grandma Jackie and many uncles, aunts, and cousins.
While we were there, we were lucky enough to have some beautiful sunny days for playing in the snow. We only made a couple of outings into the snow because, well, it was cold. But the kids enjoyed their first times in the fluffy white stuff all the same.
It took me almost 20 minutes to get both kids dressed for the snow, then another 5 minutes to get my self suited up. Then I forgot the mittens the first time, which is a total non-starter because if any ONE place on the body is uncovered, you might as well not have covered the rest of it. Luckily, Aunt Linda had some mittens we could borrow.
Of course, the most fun we had was seeing Nana and Peter again! We shared an adjoining hotel room with them and had so much fun with all the toys Nana brought. Our favorite toy, bar none, is the iPhone. The children love to play Bubble Breaker and a game I don't know the name of where you throw a crumbled up piece of paper into a trash can.
We went sledding a couple of times and the children thought that was fun, but it was hard to get into it since it involved a lot of slogging up the hill with a kid on one hip and the sled on the other. Maybe we'll wait until they get a bit bigger - and better able to pull the sled up themselves - before we try it again.
It was wonderful to see Grandma Jackie and all of our family, but I was happy to get back to sunny Florida. I'm so impressed that people can live in that climate because it's basically trying to kill you. I'm glad we survived the trip and I was very impressed with the boys on the plane. I heard that there was more snow just the other day, while we are already getting sunburns. Maybe the Minneapolis family should come visit us next year???

No comments: