
These pictures of Matthew and Jeff with the
castnet are just too good not to post. This morning we headed out on our bikes to do some
castneting. (We have owned a
castnet for over 5 years since Jeff received it as a present from Nana and Peter while living in Hawaii. Today we finally unwrapped it!)

Matthew is obsessed with fishing and fish and all things aquatic these days. He incessantly asks us to take him fishing or to go see fish or eat fish sticks. Today he loved seeing the little fish in the bucket. We didn't catch anything of any size, and everything went back into the drink when we were finished!

The funniest part of the whole day was when Jeff cast the entire net into the bayou. I felt so badly for him because he's just learning, which is not a comfortable place for most people. He was casting pretty well for his first real time doing it, and then, well... He biked home quickly and returned with a fishing pole and used his superior casting skills to snag the
castnet. And wouldn't you know that when we pulled that cast up there were two beautiful blue crabs in there!

I did not just hang out and take pictures, as it may seem. Instead, I was the first to catch a few small fish and a blue crab. Keep in mind that I have never casted more than a dozen times in my life, so this was a pretty big deal for me. Then I dropped our bucket in the water and had to cast the net out to retrieve it. And it worked!
No comments:
Post a Comment