Saturday, July 26, 2008
Baby's Room
We've spent a lot of time lately hanging out in Matthew's room. He loves it in there. It's definitely the coolest place in the house, both because of it's orientation and the air conditioner. With the Hawaiian summer the way it is, we spend a lot of time in this room these days. His favorite thing to do these days is play "Pillows", a game that involves him lying down and us covering him up with pillows. Then he breaks out of the pillow pile like a strong-man-contest-winner. It's great.
I've always loved the view from Matthew's room. When he was very young and we spent many, many hours nursing, I would marvel at the beauty I could see from his small window. The trade winds blow almost constantly, bouncing the bright green palm trees just enough to give glimpses of the teal mountains on the other side of the valley. Even when things were at their worst, I found so much peace in watching those palm trees sway.
Now that Matthew can walk, he's moved on to reading. He's very smart. He especially loves Goodnight Gorilla because pretty much the only words in it are goodnight and gorilla. He also likes to read the name-plate that his Aunt Sina painted just for him. All of the words these days come out as "ba" or "da", but I know that he understands. Especially when that little gorilla sneaks right back in to the zoo keepers bed! That part cracks us up.
I haven't been blogging much lately because we've been living a lot. Last night, I was out until 2AM with our friend and babysitter, Connie. I promised her that I would go out one night before she leaves for graduate school in Seattle. We've never been out together, so she had no idea that I can hold my own on the dance floor. We found ourselves at the only country bar in Hawaii and I found out that I haven't forgotten everything I ever knew about dancing. We two-stepped the night away and I thanked Jeff in my sleep this morning when he kept Matthew quiet while Mama slept in. Now I'm thinking that I might need to do that again soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"Goodnight Gorilla" is our favorite too!! We read it at least two or three times every night before bed.
Goodnight elephant! Goodnight lion! Goodnight hyena! Goodnight armadillo!
Post a Comment